background

Sunday, July 17, 2011

Diabetic??

Everyone talks about being tested for gestational diabetes and how gross it is.... I was well prepared to do the test and drink the gunk, but never thought that I would fail it! Little did I know that the odds of developing gestational diabetes are higher when pregnant with multiples.

On Thursday morning, I was woken up at 5:00am to begin the testing for the 1-hr glucose tolerance test. They drew blood, made me drink the nasty, sugary drink, and came back an hour later to take my blood again. My blood sugar levels came back elevated so Dr. Kirshon requested I do the 3-hr glucose tolerance test the following day. I was a little nervous about the possibility of having gestational diabetes, but I have heard from many friends of mine about failing the first test and passing the second. So, I knew there was some hope.....

On Friday morning, I was woken again at 5:00 to begin the testing. They drew blood, made me drink the sugary drink (which was double the concentrate from the previous day....UGH), and then returned many times to draw blood and collect urine samples. They came back at the 30-minute mark, 1-hr, 22-hr, and 3-hr mark. LOTS of needles! All of that sugar on an empty stomach after fasting made me sick. Laying in the bed for the majority of the morning helped the nauseous feeling pass. :)

I had some friends come visit on Friday for lunch and took the opportunity to eat as many french fries as I could, just in case..... It was a good thing I did! After interpreting the results that afternoon, my doctor said that I am borderline. He put me on a 22oo calorie diabetic diet with 4 finger pricks a day to check my blood sugar for the weekend. If all is well, we will reassess on Monday.

It has been interesting not being able to order all of the carbs that I LOVE to eat. I am still able to eat many things and they send me yummy snacks 3 times a day. Just understanding the system of choosing my food from the menu is hard for me. If I could eat french fries, chips, and sour candy all day, I would be perfectly happy! HA!

My finger pricks so far have all been well below where they need to be, so things are looking up. Whatever it takes for these little girls that I love so much already.....

No comments:

Post a Comment